Thursday 11 December 2008

Dissatisfied Rail Service users

I commute daily to London from Peterborough and although it is my choice to do so, I do it to earn a living. I feel commuters and rail passengers are held to ransom by the rail companies as they know they have a captive audience. The fare for me has just increased to over £600 per month. I have to pay this fare regardless as to whether I get a seat or not. My feeling is that if you buy a ticket, you should buy a seat. Rail travel in Britain is hugely more expensive than in France, Italy and even Switzerland. In Italy last year I travelled the equivalent distance that I travel here daily for £11 return! The train was on time, clean and was an express. The reason being of course that Trenitalia is subsidised. Public services should not be run for profit, they are an essential part of a civilised society. The maintenance work that has just been done over the Christmas period is long overdue but were not done without the shareholders taking their cut first of course.

Stephen Palmer, Peterborough, Cambridgeshire

Railwasy -"company structure, which can then be held financially accountable for any failures" - it is the shareholders not the passengers who would benefit or lose. I am a customer of the railways companies but have no say whatsoever.

Jane Fleming, Whittlesey, CAMBRIDGESHIRE

No comments:

Rail Employment News